Who We Are
Children in Action is an organization of young social activists who are passionate about children’s rights. In 2012, Vishal Vijay founded Children in Action after a trip to India where he saw extreme poverty first hand. Feeling with a passion and a desire to help the kids he met there, he and his friends came together to form Children in Action. What started initially as a small group of 5 friends who shared a desire to make this a safer and more just world for children everywhere, has today grown into an active group of more than 40 socially conscious youth aged 9 – 16 years old who attend 15 different schools.
We truly believe that “youth are not just the leaders of tomorrow, we are the leaders of today,” and that the time for change is now. Our members have logged thousands of volunteer hours raising awareness of important issues affecting children both locally and globally and, in the process, raised thousands of dollars for causes like ending child hunger, anti-bullying, providing access to clean water and building schools for underprivileged street kids. Our efforts to get youth involved have begun to have an impact!
We have a vision of a world where the rights of every child are protected and celebrated – and we are doing our best to make this dream a reality! Children’s rights don’t just affect children – they affect everyone!
We are “making a difference for a better tomorrow” by raising awareness, volunteering and fundraising for children’s rights.
2013 – 2014 Focus: Year of Clean Water
2014 – 2015 Focus: Year of Education
For the past several years, we’ve been involved in many original projects, initiatives, service trips and fundraisers.
• Organized and held many original community fundraisers like Chalk it UP!, Skate it UP!, Feed it UP! and RAK it UP! (Random Acts of Kindness)
• Raised thousands of dollars for local and global children’s rights causes
• Our members have volunteered thousands of hours both locally and internationally over the past three years.
• Helped fight hunger in Canada by collecting and distributing over 1500 non-perishable food items for local food banks and by preparing and serving food to the hungry.
• Helped GlobalMedic build 4000 Household Protection Kits to fight the spread of Ebola in West Africa
• Visited service projects in Canada, Kenya, India and other places around the world.
• Built a water project in Sierra Leone to provide clean water for hundreds of villagers for life
• CIA Co-founder Vishal Vijay serves on Free The Children’s International Board of Directors and has spoken about children’s rights to over 120,000 people at 9 We Days across Canada. He has been featured at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights in Winnipeg in their exhibit on children’s rights. He is a 2015 Global Teen Leader from Canada with the Just Peace Summit.
• CIA are proud winners of the Oakville Community Youth Spirit Award for 2014